Thursday, November 1, 2007

Did You Know:

  • My life expectancy is 13 years shorter than any other average female my age.
  • Even if I lead a completely healthy life with healthy lifestyles and eating habits I am still likely to suffer from organ failure, amputations, loss of eyesight, and heart disease.
  • I have a 75% chance of dying from heart disease and/or stroke.
  • I have a 40% chance of developing kidney disease by age 50.
  • I have an increased chance of having a baby with deformities, as well as an increased chance of having a miscarriage.
  • For me, nerve damage is inevitable.
  • My risk of death is 2 times greater when compared to my peers.
  • Rather than dying of natural causes, I will likely fall victim to the United States' 5th leading cause of death.
Have you figured out what the common denominator is? DIABETES

Pretty grim isn't it? Even more grim is the fact that my children have a 40-60% chance of the same fate. Millions and millions of Americans share my fate already. I am sure you all know at least one person first hand who suffers from Type 1 diabetes. I have heard that I am "lucky" to "only have" diabetes, and I guess I can see why someone might say that. But really, who would CHOOSE those statistics?

THE GOOD NEWS:
Research is being done, and it is said that scientists are very close to a cure. While I am skeptical of exactly how close a cure is--I know the research is being done and that someday there will be one. I don't think I will see it in my life time, but I am hoping my kids will see it in theirs. To support this cause, Brad and I have started donating to help fund research for a cure for childhood diabetes. I would ask that you support the cause also. There are many ways to support the cause--direct donation, participating in walks, as wells as a few others. To find out how to donate click this link.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

When did you find out that you were diabetic? I don't know a whole lot about diabetes, just that most of our patients (I work with patients with sleep disorders) have diabetes. Interesting. I thought it could be cured?? Shows how ignorant I am.

Angie said...

I'm sure Mckay can explain this, but Type 2 diabetes is the "cureable" or "preventable" diabetes. With Type 1 you are insulin dependent for life...until a cure.

My husband, younger brother, brother-in-law, father-in-law (who just recently passed away with complications from diabetes...heart disease) and newly diagnosed sister-in-law (who is 6 years old), and my good friend Mckay! They all have type 1 diabetes...I am always looking for signs of it in my kids, but trying to keep it to the back of my mind...I already worry too much about stuff that doesn't really matter! :)

Also, I didn't know if you were aware, (and I don't want to feel like a know-it-all or anything) but JDRF research donations go right to Type 1 diabetes. ADA goes to Type 1 and Type 2...but either is great!

I REALLY hope they are close...I almost feel like they have a cure already, but they don't want us to know...no one will make anymore money on strips, insulin, pump supplies, etc...$50 for 50 strips! with an average of 4-6 tests a day...

Sorry to ramble, but I want the Cure to happen too!!

Angie J

Mariela said...

McKay, I'm so happy that you have taken steps for your children and family. You are a good example for Clay and I...