Monday, October 15, 2007

Holiday Plans

The holidays are quickly approaching--I can't believe how fast time goes by. This time last year I had a brand new baby and a almost potty trained 3 year old. This year I have a opinionated, personality filled one year old and a fully potty trained, independent four year old. How did this happen?!

Anyway, I got off track. This is supposed to be about holiday plans. Brad and I are so excited for Thanksgiving! We always love Thanksgiving, but this year it is going to be extra special because Brad's family is traveling a long way to come be with us and Brad's Grandparent's (who live in Taos) for Thanksgiving. Devin is excited to see Grandpa Pants and Grandma Stacy(and his aunts and uncle too!), and I am excited for Reese to be able to spend some more time with them also. I am crossing my fingers that her anxiety of others doesn't apply to them. Stacy, Tyler, Kirsti, (maybe Trisha?) are all going to come a little early and spend some time in Rio Rancho with us. I am trying to think of some fun things to take them and the kids to do together. Maybe the tram? Vance is going to come on Wednesday, and we are all going to travel to Taos to be with Tom and Glenda. Spending time with the Harris' is always fun. Brad and I miss them terribly and don't get to see them often enough.

For Christmas, we will be staying in NM and hopefully my mom will have her annual gingerbread making contest. I really stink at it, but it is so much fun! I also love our tradition of a Mexican food dinner on Christmas Eve. Growing up I had so much fun with my family on Christmas. I love all the traditions, and I love being with them. Christmas time and traditions are especially fun now that I have kids of my own. I love to see their faces light up. My favorite though, is teaching my kids about the holidays and their true meaning. I love teaching Devin about Jesus Christ and all that He has done for us. Devin has such a simple, innocent understanding of Christ--I learn from him!

The holidays truly are special. I love this time of year. Last year Brad and I made a goal to not lose sight of the true meaning of the holidays. That is my goal again this year. It is not about gifts and Santa and food and lights and decorations. It is about giving unto others, celebrating the birth of our Savior, remembering those in need, and being thankful for everyone and everything we have in our lives. These are the things my family will celebrate this year.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Your holiday plans sound like fun, though I am a bit disappointed that none of them include a visit to the festive city of Las Vegas.